Health experts recommend that children get at least 60 minutes each day of physical activity. They need to run, climb, jump and get up and move around, away from their desks, the television and computer games. Today, about one in every four school-aged children are overweight or at risk for becoming overweight. It is extremely important to encourage children to adopt good physical activity behaviors that promote a healthy lifestyle. Regular physical activity can have beneficial effects on the following aspects of health for children:
- Muscular strength
- Cardiorespiratory (aerobic) fitness
- Bone mass (through weight-bearing physical activities)
- Blood pressure (for hypertensive youth)
- Anxiety and stress
Tips For Childcare Providers and Parents
As a caregiver for children, you have an important role in shaping a child’s physical activity attitudes and behaviors. Here are some tips to encourage the children in your care to be more physically active.
- Set a positive example by making physical activity part of your daily routine such as designating time for walks or playing active games together.
- Offer positive reinforcement for the physical activities in which children participate.
- Make physical activity fun. Fun activities can be anything the child enjoys, either structured or non-structured. They may range from team sports, individual sports, and/or recreational activities such as walking, running, skating, bicycling, swimming, playground activities, and free-time play.
- Ensure that the activity is age appropriate and, to ensure safety, provide protective equipment such as helmets, wrist pads, and knee pads.
- Limit the time children watch television or play video games. Instead, encourage children to find fun activities to do with friends or family members or on their own that simply involve more activity (walking, playing chase, dancing).
Now that you have all of this knowledge surrounding children’s health and the role that physical activity plays in that, it’s time to find some tools to help get those children up out of their seats and running around! Who ever said that physical activity is all work and no play must not have had any Little Tikes toys! Below are our top 3 recommended toys for encouraging physical activity. But don’t worry if none of these 3 meet your needs, we have many more toys available online at www.littletikeschildcare.com to meet your physical fitness needs.
Children will jump out of their seats to get outside and play with these easy-to-use sports sets! With this great sports variety pack you will encourage children to exercise and learn about sports through individual and group play! And this package offers something for everyone; basketball, bowling, and soccer! And even you can be a winner when you purchase this sports package because it features fun savings of $60.00!
Sports Variety Pack Includes two each:
Bring the fun of a water park to your very own play yard with this huge inflatable water playground! Children will get lots of exercise as they climb up to the top of slide where they’ll be sprayed with water from overhead and then slide down the giant 12 foot slide into the splash pool at the bottom. But the fun doesn’t stop there; children will also enjoy the basketball hoop in the large splash pool for added enjoyment. And the best part is that they will want to do this again and again and again!
Ultimate Beach Ball™ Sprinkler
Nothing gets children moving like an Ultimate Beach Ball™ Sprinkler from Little Tikes! This has been the top selling product for 3 years running! With just a splash of cool water and a sprinkle of laughter, children will be running around this sprinkler for hours of wild water play! This Ultimate Beach Ball™ Sprinkler inflates in minutes. All you have to do is hook it up to the hose and watch the fun begin. Water sprays out of 4 different places and there is a water pouch in the bottom of the sprinkler that you can fill up to make the sprinkler more stationary or leave it empty so children can kick the ball all over the playground! Ultimate Beach Ball™ Sprinkler is 88″ in circumference.
Tags: Childhood Obesity, exercise, health, Little Tikes, Little Tikes outdoor products, Little Tikes outdoor toys, Little Tikes Sports, national physical fitness and sports, nutrition, physical activity, physical fitness, playground toys, sports