Summer is officially here, so it’s time to get the children outside to enjoy the beautiful weather and some fun outdoor activities! Here’s a list of 10 activities that you can do outside with the children in your care:
1. Have a picnic – What better way to enjoy the nice weather than with an outdoor picnic. Grab a few snacks, and the Endless Adventures® Fold ‘n Store Picnic Table from Little Tikes and you’ll be on your way! And there’s no better time to get the Fold ‘n Store Picnic Table because for a limited time, Little Tikes is offering a free Market Umbrella with purchase of the picnic table! But hurry, this offer is only valid until Wednesday, July 2nd, 2008. Not valid on previous purchases. Offer only valid at www.littletikeschildcare.com or by calling 1-866-416-4217.
2. Make your own Bubble Fun! – Get children involved by showing them how to make their very own bubble wands and then get outside and send tiny bubbles flying in all directions.
3. Make Balloon Kites – Click here to learn how to make your very own balloon kite that is guaranteed to fly, even on days with light wind.
4. Dig for buried treasures – Hide objects in the sandbox and give children the tools to go digging for the buried “treasures”. A small shovel and sifter are the perfect tools for an enjoyable treasure hunt.
5. Walk-A-Lot – Knowledge of what the body can do begins with learning to move it in different ways, at different paces, and in ways that challenge emerging balance. Encourage children to walk in different ways with you–with high marching steps, with big striding steps, etc.
6. Play Hot Potato – Get all of the children to either stand or sit in a circle. You can use any object as the potato. Some people really use a potato while others use a beanbag.You will need a CD player, tape deck, or radio for this game. Turn on the music and hand the hot potato to one of the children. This child must pass the hot potato either to his or her left or right. Each child must continue to pass the potato until the music stops. When you stop the music the child left holding the potato is out and must leave the circle. Again I recommend some sort of “small prize” for the children who get eliminated so they don’t feel bad. The children will shriek with laughter and fear when the music stops. The anticipation on their faces during this game is worth the noise.
8. Get creative on the sidewalk – All you need for this activity is a big tub of sidewalk chalk and….a sidewalk! (although a driveway, or any type of pavement or concrete will work, too). Inspire the artist in every child by allowing them to express themselves creatively with chalk! Plain concrete will meet its match!
9. Visit a Farm, Ranch or Zoo! – Animals have a way of bringing out a smile in anyone, no matter how old they are. Children love to visit the local zoo and see the animals. Local farms or ranches will show your children how animals and humans work together. These activities can help children to cultivate a love of and concern for animals.
10. Create your own waterpark – Turn your playground into an oceanside adventure with the Crashing Waves Waterpark from Little Tikes! With this water inflatable, children can climb the bouncy rock wall to the top of the lighthouse, then slide down the slippery curved slide and into the splash pool. A spray cannon at the top of the lighthouse and the crawl-through tunnel ramps up the excitement. Stakes anchor the bouncer firmly in place, while a heavy-duty blower provides continuous airflow. Built of puncture-resistant material with durable mesh netting. Click here to buy this incredible waterpark!